Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dolls and Model Planes

http://ny-image2.etsy.com//il_fullxfull.100063394.jpg

I first met Sarah Mitchell in my very first college art class (and the only 8AM class I ever endeavored!) The class was Sculpture, taught by Mike Rathbun. Though I was totally inspired by my professor, Sculpture itself was hard for me. I like making things that are teeny tiny (which explains why I have more itty bitty semiprecious stones and pearls than anyone needs), and Mike is famous for gigantic installations that fill entire galleries! One of the projects we undertook as a class involved taking a model airplane pattern, projecting it only the wall to trace a giant version, and building a lifesize plane! Then we "flew" it around the school, a happy distraction for bored students gazing out of their classroom windows.

Anyway, Sarah was my Sculpture buddy, and always impressed me with her clever approaches to our assignments. Sarah just graduated from Lewis and Clark with an art degree and has opened an Etsy shop! She makes dolls that are absolutely gorgeous, ethereal, and original. They are truly art, and reasonably priced! Please check out DollsImagined on Etsy, you will be glad you did!

No comments: